Monday 19 August 2013

The bare fridge ......



Don’t you just hate it when someone comes to your house and ask for

a drink only follow you to the fridge and (the fridge) is very bare.

 
My little niece is notorious for this.  Of course, she's neither hungry or thirsty, just happens to be a nosey.

My familiar friends may comment ‘you don’t reach the supermarket yet’, or 'someone needs a loan'.  Cheek!  Well some of us also exercise our options when to grocery shop.
 
Not unlike my fridge!
 
The cupboards are not too packed either. 
As a result my activity tends to be – check the fridge, find nothing, move to the cupboard, nothing ...… back to the fridge, wait, that’s right, nothing there.  Aha the freezer, eureka!  Not so fast – everything is frozen.
Even though there’s nothing suitable to eat in my fridge at 8.00 pm, (an apple, cucumber, plaintain, lettuce, broccoli water and more water, okra, limes, a potato, lots of herbs, kale and cous cous) there is enough to make a super veggie meal.
 
On television/films the people with a threadbare fridge generally fall into the category of degenerate, a bad mother, an alcoholic, unemployed, and so forth. It's seldom a white collar worker. 
 
And haven't we all done this, stock up the fridge and at the end of the following week you end up dumping half the stuff.
 Here’s a tip for my friends in common.
 
If your fridge is empty most of the time, fill up containers of water and store them inside your fridge. 
 
For an empty freezer, store some extra bags of ice.  This will create extra thermal mass inside your fridge and will give your fridge's coils a break. 
 
In a power outage, the extra bags of ice will also help to keep your food from going bad.
My justification for an empty fridge is that grocery shopping is but a stone’s throw from my humble abode and open 24/7.  If someone is coming by there are convenience stores in every direction to my house. 
 
I try to keep waste to a minimum, ends of food are passed on to Peanuts or combined with another meal and make another meal!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




 

1 comment:

  1. My fridge looks just like yours most of the time.
    I don't like my fridge choc-a-bloc, I like to be able to see everything at a glance.
    DD is notorious for buying larger sized items and stockpiling the fridge and then they invariably go to waste.
    Maybe little niece would like some of that wine!!!

    ReplyDelete